Managing individuals experiencing mental distress can be daunting tasks for supervisors. By participating in this session, participants will learn about the difference between mental health and mental illness, as well as the stigma that surrounds mental illness. Managers will become more confident in understanding a variety of mental illnesses, including their common symptoms and presentation. This course works to empower leadership through enhancing their effective communication skills, to support an employee experiencing mental distress.
Skills Developed in this Course
* Understanding the difference between sadness and clinical depression
* Recognizing the difference between healthy and unhealthy stress in another
* How to provide support to an employee experiencing imminent mental distress
* Supporting someone that may be experiencing psychosis
* Simple verbal-escalation strategies for supporting an agitated individual
* Where/how to direct an employee experiencing thoughts of suicide for help